Like many of you, I have a desk job, which means that I sit in front of a computer for the majority of my day. It is easy to fall into bad habits with a desk job, which not only means that the pounds can pile on quickly, but your attitude can take a dive bomb and you can end the day feeling completely exhausted.
Here are my five top tips to stay healthy when you have a desk job!
1. Go for a walk on your break. It is so important to get outside during the day, for some fresh air and a shot of Vitamin D. Vitamin D, combined with a little movement will do wonders not only for your physical health but also your attitude and mind set for the afternoon. I aim for 30 minutes walking in my lunch break every day – which adds up to 2.5 hours of walking a week!
2. Hold back on the coffee. Don’t let yourself become addicted to coffee! And if you are, wean yourself off it. Coffee will dehydrate you and eventually leave you feeling even more tired. That’s not to say don’t have any coffee at all – I love (and look forward to) my coffee first thing in the morning to ease myself into the day, but limit yourself to no more than two a day. When you do have your coffee, sip away at it slowly and savour the taste. It is meant to be enjoyed, not gulped down in five seconds flat!
3. Keep a water bottle at your desk. And actually drink it. Aim for 1.5 litres during the work day.
4. Eat right. Guys, this is not new news. Pack a balanced lunch (my favourite is to bring leftovers from the night before), and bring a couple of snacks – maybe a piece of fruit and some nuts. Stay away from the vending machine!
5. Make time for yourself after work. Being happy at work is not only about being at work. What you do to maximise your happiness outside work hours will positively impact your mood overall. I often think about what I have planned after work and it puts me in a good mood all day. Plan to meet a friend for a drink on the way home, plan a date night to look forward to, or imagine how nice it is going to be when you get home and can make some cheese & crackers, plant yourself on the couch watching the Ellen Show…or whatever!
6. Smile. Even if it’s the day from hell, just smile. Having a positive attitude can make such a difference. Fake it til you make it, right?
Are you also a desk-dweller? Do you have any further tips to stay healthy when you have a desk job?