Welcome to The Butterfly Editions.
I’m Christie. I created The Butterfly Editions to share my travel experiences and connect with travellers around the globe. You’re in the right place to find plenty of information and inspiration for your future travels. Enjoy!
Subscribe for updates!
‘LIKE’ IT UP
Tag Archives: scenery
Arrowtown is SUCH a pretty place, guys.
Far away near the bottom of the South Island, Arrowtown has an incredibly rich history – literally, rich in gold! Gold was first discovered in Arrowtown in 1861 and within years was stripped almost bare of the rich mineral. These days, Arrowtown makes for a peaceful holiday spot amidst beautiful and interesting surroundings.
Here’s how to spend an afternoon in the picturesque village of Arrowtown:
1. Begin with a cheese roll at Jonesey’s Cafe. You’re down south now team, Cheese Rolls will appear in cafes everywhere! Jonesey’s serve giant cheese rolls, like nothing you will have ever seen before. They are award-winning, too!
Will put a smile on your dial for sure.
2. Stroll around the Chinese Village and learn all about the Chinese settlers that came in the 1800’s for the gold rush – and worked in extremely tough conditions to earn enough to make a better life for their families.
3. Pan for gold – have your own real New Zealand ‘goldrush’ experience! Guaranteed to leave with a few flecks of gold of your own, its a worthwhile way to spend 20 or 30 minutes of your day.
4. Wander up and down the main street, admiring the colonial architecture and the town’s stunning alpine backdrop. Check out the shops too for some cute souvenirs and gifts.
5. Visit The Remarkable Sweet Shop! Its amazing. And top up with some lollies for the next leg of your journey!
We visited in Autumn, which was absolutely beautiful with the leaves changing colour all around us – but Arrowtown is beautiful any time of year!
How to get there: Arrowtown is a 15 minute drive from Queenstown in New Zealand’s South Island.
Have you visited Arrowtown?